Monday, March 9, 2009

It's not the heat...

What is the the maximum room humidity for a piano to be playable?

In general, I don't know. But right now, for my piano, it seems to be about 60%.

I used a humidifier during the winter to keep the humidity up to a level comfortable for the piano. But in the space of a week the temperature has jumped in CenTex, humidity is into the 60s and my baby is suffering. I have one hammer that's sticking pretty badly. A few dampers are a little sluggish. And in general the action just feels a little less responsive... a little less crisp. (Or maybe I'm just playing badly these days.)

Anyway, I'll break out the dehumidifier. But humidity in the low 60s shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure the action still just needs some first-year adjustments. I've heard it's pretty common to have sticky keys/dampers in the first year.

Paging Gary....

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Kenneth. I had no idea that a piano would need so much TLC. I guess the humans and animals in the house will just have to adjust to the piano's demands. It simply must to be in top shape to do justice to your talent and artistry. Good luck in finding Gary.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, normally they don't need quite so much attention. But I hear it is pretty common for a brand new piano to have sticky keys and other minor maladies in the first year.

    And I think that controlling the humidity in the house this winter did the biological denizens as much good as the mechanical ones.

    ReplyDelete