Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Piano 101: 10. Sonetto 104 del Petrarca

Franz Liszt published some of his greatest solo piano music in three volumes he called Années de Pèlerinage (Years of Pilgrimage). The second year ("Italy") includes three pieces inspired by the Italian poet Petrarch. Sonetto 104 del Petrarca will be my final recording in this series. So sad.

The piece is one of my all-time favorites. It really showcases the piano, with singing melody, percussion, lush orchestral voicing and shimmering effects. I loved playing it years ago and I love it even more now.

Track 10: Sonetto 104 del Petrarca (Franz Liszt)

3 comments:

  1. Kenneth,
    This is one of my favorites, too. I am looking forward to hearing all your pieces this summer.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Kenneth,

    Love your Liszt. While I had not forgotten what great piano works Liszt had written, this is a great reminder. Thank you.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kenneth,
    If there had to be a finale in this series, this one has it all.

    I can tell why this might be one of your all-time favorites. You play it like you love it, too.

    Now, what I love is that I can hear you play my favorites anytime I choose; and I do. Thank you for that!
    Love, Louise

    ReplyDelete