Sunday, March 23, 2008

Piano 101: 7. Arabesque I

Debussy's Arabesque I was probably the first piece I learned that you'd consider "concert repertoire". It must have been around 1982 or 1983, I think. The piece is an example of French Impressionist music, known for its suggestion of atmosphere. But I had a lot of trouble trying to capture the tranquility and mood in a recording. Nonetheless, it's one of my all-time favorite pieces to play. It feels like making music.

Track 7: Arabesque I (Claude Debussy)

4 comments:

  1. The Arabesque is really lovely and so is your rendition of it. Thanks for sharing, Kenneth.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, it brings back many memories.
    Lovely,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this one, Kenneth. It is more like familiar music to my ears. I have a sense of being carried along comfortably by this piece. It's a good feeling.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just listened to this again and I love, love, love it. I have such fond memories of you playing this particular piece. Thank you for recording/sharing it here.
    m.

    ReplyDelete