Saturday, April 26, 2008

Piano 101: 8. Impromptu Opus 90 Nr. 4

I broke the rules on this one. These were supposed to be recordings of pieces I used to play many years ago, but I never played this one before this year.

Schubert's Impromptu is a piece that my mother used to play. Some of my earliest memories are of her playing it on her old Chopin upright piano. I couldn't have been more than four or five years old. But it was one of the pieces that got me interested in learning the piano and has stuck with me all these years.

I'm sure my father will recognize this piece, and probably my brothers and sister, too. But I wonder if any of my mother's brothers and sisters remember her playing it. I would love to hear any reminiscences.

Track 8: Impromptu Opus 90 Nr. 4 (Franz Schubert)

5 comments:

  1. Indeed, I do. Brings back memories! Thanks,Kenneth.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a surprise, Kenneth. Thanks for learning the Schubert. It brings back a lot of memories for me, too.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, Kenneth!

    This is a long, exciting piece with lots of variety and interest for our enjoyment. Thank you!

    Thanks, too, for telling us your reason for choosing this latest selection. You may never have played it yourself before now, but it is definitely part of your history.

    I also look forward to hearing any family reminiscences sparked by your playing of this work by Schubert.

    Love, Louise

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S.

    The first time I heard this piece in concert was at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa, shortly after we moved here. Murray Perahia, one of the piano greats was just starting his career. He played it so beautifully that I went home and learned it immediately.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only imagine what it must be like to hear a beautiful piece of music played in concert and then go home and learn to play it yourself. What an accomplishment that must be!
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete