Sunday, May 10, 2009

Spring Recital

I've mentioned here that I'd like to find more opportunities to perform. So I jumped when Steinway Guy asked me to play at a recital of his students on May 31. It's a great opportunity to play for a larger audience and I thought it would give me a chance to test-drive a couple new pieces. The recital will be at the Steinway Piano Gallery, hopefully on the D!

I asked SG if he had any preferences, or if there was an overall theme to the program. He said I could play anything I like. But then a few weeks ago he mentioned that it would be good if I could play something the audience would recognize. But not Für Elise or the Moonlight Sonata. And the pieces shouldn't be too long, since there will be a lot of kids in the audience. But they should be technically challenging to show the students what you can do if you practice your scales and technique.

Of course, I have nothing that fits all those criteria. And it seemed a little late to learn something brand new. But then it hit me! The Mozart Variations on "Ah, vous dirai-je, Maman" would be perfect. I've never really learned them, but I've noodled around with them enough over the years that I was confident I could put them together in time. I'll also play Pastora and Gaucho Matrero, which the audience surely won't recognize, but are short, fast and very entertaining.
  1. Variations on "Ah, vous dirai-je, Maman" (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart)
  2. Danza de la Pastora (Ernesto Halffter)
  3. Danza del Gaucho Matrero (Alberto Ginastera)
I sent the program to SG and he loves it. So there you go. I'm committed.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a great program. Good skill in the playing, and good luck in getting the piano you want.

    ReplyDelete