Thursday, April 9, 2009

Thom Barker Band Promo Photos

In the Fall of 1995 when Thom was getting serious about promoting the band, he put together a "promo package" which included press clippings, the Forest cd, bios and promo photos. We had done up a couple of photos specifically for the promo package. I don't know what happened to the negatives or any of the prints. I assume they're probably lost forever.

Thom Barker Band, Fall 1995, Regent St., Ottawa

But this was 1995 and there was a new craze sweeping Computer Science Departments. It was called the World Wide Web. It made it easy to publish text and pictures online in a way that was presentable for reading (as opposed to just searching and downloading). Not being immune to the draw of a bandwagon, I started scanning photos and putting them on web pages in my Unix account at the University of Ottawa.

Unfortunately, sometime in the late '90s I accidentally deleted all photos in my musicpix directory whose filename began with the letter 't'. Don't ask me why. So the scanned versions of the Thom Barker Band promo photos (tbb-promo1.gif and tbb-promo2.gif) and a bunch of others were gone.

Fast forward 14 years to April, 2009. Thanks to the magic of the Wayback Machine, I found the deleted photos. Sometime between 1995 and the date I deleted the pictures, the Wayback Machine archived them. I'm sure I've checked the archive before, but if you've ever tried to find old stuff there, you know it's kind of hit-or-miss. Today I got lucky.

Thom Barker Band, Fall 1995, Regent St., Ottawa

5 comments:

  1. Great photos. Echoes of the past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were there just the two pics? Whose the fourth guy (with the beret). They are good pics and I'm sure I have never seen them. Probably wasn't paying attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were just the two band promo pics. There was one other promo picture of just Thomas. I have a couple of other live photos of the band, and pictures from the studio (coming up next). The hipster dude is Scott, the drummer. I wish I could remember his last name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great find these pictures are for those of us who are eager to catch up on family history. Ah, youth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drummer is Scott McCulloch. Still actively plays.

    ReplyDelete